Bringing your vehicle onto Spanish plates should be
a quick and easy process
– when done properly!
We operate a quick, experienced and inexpensive path to bringing your foreign plated vehicle into Spain.
Remember that if you have just received your residency, or you are getting one, and you have to register your vehicle in Spain you can save money on the registration taxes if you apply within sixty days after the date on your residency permit.
Most foreign plated vehicles can only be in Spain for six months before becoming illegal! Which means you have no insurance, and a whopping fine waiting for you when the local police spot you.
There are four steps to replating your vehicle in Spain:
- the engineer’s official report. An official report on the vehicle must be obtained certifying that the vehicle adheres to national standards. Some vehicles may have non-standard equipment which will need to be replaced or updated (for example, UK cars which need their headlights changed), this will be highlighted in the report.
- pass the ITV examination to obtain an ITV. The ITV (Inspeccion Tecnico de Vehiculo) is the Spanish version of the UK’s MOT, and it will certify that your car is roadworthy for Spain. It is vital that anything flagged up in the engineers’ report is recitified before going to the ITV. It is then valid for 2 years if your vehicle is under 10 years of age, or 1 year if older.
- pay the corresponding taxes. Of course! You have to hand over your old documents, receive the new Spanish logbook and settle any import and registration taxes. Since these taxes depend on the vehicle being imported and your personal circumstances, we cannot give you an estimate of how much these will be until we have carried out a personal examination of your case.
- get the Spanish plates! And yes, you get to keep the old ones.
- We personally manage every step in the replating process and that includes the cost of going with you to the ITV center to make sure the process goes smoothly.
- All the local contacts you need
- We have arrangements with local engineers, workshops and garages to ensure that the whole process is managed quickly and efficiently, including any mechanical alterations needed to your vehicle. Any additional work not included in our original bill will be quoted for seperatly, and you can of course choose the garage of your preference to undertake the work to our specifications.
- All vehicles catered for
- We can arrange the import process for any foreign plated vehicle, it really doesn’t matter where it’s from or what it is. Most of our clients are from the EU, especially the UK, but the process is similar for all countries.
If your vehicle is over 25 years old, or something special, it may be better to import it as a “historic vehicle” in Spain. We can advise you on the best path to take.
Just need a vehicle transferring?
Also, if you have bought a Spanish plated vehicle and need it registering into your name, we can arrange this for you. Don’t forget that when you buy a Spanish vehicle you also inherit any debts on the vehicle, so contact us before buying so we can run a full credit check!
We can better any other offer!
We work with local companies and local residents, so we fully know the process and are ready to jump into action for you. We’re so confident that our prices are the best that we will better any written quotation that is lower than ours! (Excluding, of course, third party services such as mechnical work or government taxes).
We are a professional company that specialises in such matters, and so we don’t get distracted with second hand car sales, property viewings or the like. We only deal in Spanish paperwork matters.
So contact us today to get a free quotation of how much it should cost to replate your vehicle onto Spanish plates!